The Tacoma Sun

LIGHT FOR ALL

Tacoma Underground: Never Never Land Figures

By Morgan Alexander

Strange things lurk in Tacoma’s Underground!

Imagine walking into a dank dark basement in a 110 year old building downtown and turning on the lights to find this eerie and surreal scene. That’s what happened to me recently while working on an interview for a Sun story. This is what I saw:

20080122_047-s.jpg

20080122_037-s.jpg

20080122_041-s.jpg

20080122_039-s.jpg

published February 15th, 2008

74 responses so far ↓

• 1 Diana Karlova // Aug 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm

How can you guys think about buying that stuff, it was Abigail piece of history and it shouldn’t stay in a musty basment. NO it should go were it belones, in never never land… I wish never never land was back to the way it was <:( I never had a chance to see it in it's AWESOME versian

• 2 Diana Karlova // Aug 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Their all saying set me free, I want to go back this place is horrible, take me back <:(

• 3 Yana // Aug 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

How can you guys think about splitting up all of these wonderful creations, they are a family. I may have not been around to see this never never land but all of the statues look great, I read a lot about it and never never land should be together. Its home is in point defience and that is where it should stay not some other place. I like the idea of never never land in the zoo. But I think it would be better to make a new neverlamd that is gaurded like the zoo. The place now is a little creepy cleaning it up and a couple of gates would make the place better

• 4 Reylan Fernandez // Oct 14, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Never Never Land is officially gone today… Sad day for Tacoma. I hope someday these figures see the daylight again.

• 5 debbie // Dec 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Someday in the near future i plan to have a charity event and send locals letters to raise money with a group of friends to rebuild hopefully 🙂 wish me luck

• 6 Debbie // Jan 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm

if anyone is interrested in helping and shares my passion please email me at NNLRP@Yahoo.com or find me on facebook Debbie Jean Wolfenbarger
    Debra J. Wolfenbarger
    NNLRP | Never Never Land Ressurection Project

• 7 Debbie // Jan 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

ps this is the same debbie as above

• 8 Annalice Hill // May 7, 2011 at 11:24 am

This is so sad to me… i played at that park as a child and about 2 years ago i wanted to take my children there to play and that is when i realized that i was no longer there!! I loved that park and have so many wonderful memories there!! What is wrong with the world today that we cant rebuild this park for the children of today in fear that it will be ruined by vandals!!!

• 9 jess // Sep 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

man i wish they still had never never land it was awesome when i was 4 🙁 i hate that they shut it
    down

• 10 Shawna Reid // Oct 13, 2011 at 1:58 am

I too have many fond memories of Never Never Land. I remember how proud I felt, the first time I read a rhyme on my own, without any help:):)Back then we lived in the “sticks”(current Fredrickson/ South Hill area). Mornings following NNL visits, I often woke up in my own bed, feeling confused, wondering how I got there:):)lol:):)

• 11 Shawna Reid // Oct 13, 2011 at 5:19 am

My older children did get a chance to see NNL a few times but it was pretty run down by then. My 6yrold has heard about it and keeps asking when the build is:):) We just took part in helping build Playground by the Sound at Chambers Bay. Almost all the tools used came from anybody who had them to loan. No job was to small. Every single one of the at least 3oo-500 people involved were volunteers from all classes, ages, races, abilities, etc. Many of those who started out as unskilled labor at the begining of the week were definately skilled by the end of the build:):) After being involved with something like this, I don’t think, I KNOW THERE IS HOPE FOR NEVER, NEVER, LAND!!! We might not be able to replicate it exactly or even want to in some ways. Although, from all I have read I think most of us are emotionaly attached to NNL in a good way and we can use that energy to create something great for our children, grandchildren, and generations to come long after we are gone. I hope I’m not offending anyone but I have to be honest with myself, it’s time to take off the blinders.What happend to NNL is very preventable. However, we have to quit playing the victim roll and blaming vandals for all the bad stuff that happens or has happened in the past, present and future otherwise it will keep happening again and again.
    ” Never, Never Land Foundation?” I am open to brainstorming and like the charity idea although I would call something like this a fundraiser and an investment:):)

Shawna Reid
    shawhat@hotmail.com

• 12 adam // Jan 26, 2012 at 1:22 am

Hooow Darger. But no Cheshire cat ?!

Alas, should still absolUtely keep these together – what good is a trinket in a yard? Together they hold a historic era in assembly, apart are tokens, souvenirs only – meaning is lost out of context, like a word removed of a story book.

They read better as they sit – like an imaginary text that holds untold numbers of stories. And they’re bona fide historic works of art – belong in a (children’s?) museum.

Really, there’s no building downtown that would house these ? Hard to believe. I guarantee: Volunteers would be found to watch them . .

• 13 Jack. W // Mar 2, 2012 at 9:31 pm

What about the arsenic?

• 14 Ben Hartman // Mar 28, 2012 at 12:27 am

Please, PLease PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

REBUILD NEVER NEVER LAND! PLEASE ! WE NEED THIS IN TACOMA FOR SOMETHING MEMORABLE FOR OUR CHILDREN! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! IT is SO IMPORTANT!

WHO WOULD REMOVE THESE FROM THE FOREST! PLEASE MAINTAIN OUR CITY AND REBUILD THE PARK! PLEASE!

• 15 wildninja // Jun 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Does anyone remember faces on the trees at Never Never Land? I don’t, but I received an interesting picture from a commenter on my blog that might job someone’s memory: http://wildninja.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/hamadryads-in-nnl/.

• 16 Debbie // Aug 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

ok so now ive made a facebook page check it out and like please and feel free to share memories and photos the page is “Never Never Land Ressurection Project” please support my quest

• 17 wildninja // Jan 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Hey, I’ve noticed that people are still visiting this page, so want to make everyone aware that the owner of the figurines has started to sell them through Broadway’s Best Antiques. That’s their right, but in my opinion, they belong together, and they belong in a museum. I’ve contacted area museums but they’d have to be donated– they don’t have the $$ to buy them. More info. on my blog at http://wildninja.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/they-belong-in-a-museum/.